The Service Desk Engineer will act as the first point of contact for all CrossPoint Managed Services clients’ who report issues/faults, service requests relating to their contract reactively and proactively (event management).
The primary objective of the role is to provide first time resolution. This will be achieved by troubleshooting, diagnosing and resolving problems at the first point of contact and/or escalating the fault to the appropriate resolver groups (internal or external) to investigate and resolve.
Throughout this process you will remain the single point of contact with the client, maintaining ownership of the original fault and acting as the main point of contact between the client and CrossPoint (internal and external resolver groups) – providing timely updates and ensuring the fault is given the correct level of priority and attention according to their contracted service level agreements (SLAs).
A key component to this role is the interaction with clients, vendors, suppliers and CrossPoint internal teams. A good customer service ethic, a willingness to take ownership of problems, be proactive, investigate and propose continual service improvement to suit clients’ requirements are required.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
Service Desk: Provide Frontline Customer Service and Service Delivery to the CrossPoint internal and external stakeholders.
- Work closely with extended Managed Services team in ensuring a connected and cohesive end to end outcome for customers. Namely working with Service Delivery Managers (SDM), Account Manager (AM) and Senior Engineer(s) assigned to clients (Service Desk Manager is absence of SDM) for a Service Desk which is innately connected to the greater Service Delivery framework and functions.
- Log all incidents into IT Service Management (ITSM) tool, reactive or proactive, according to entitlement of service
- Correctly logging incidents and service request(s), categorizing and prioritizing them in line with client contract, priority, impact and service level agreements with client
- Proactively monitoring (event management) and recording alerts into ITSM generated from network monitoring and management tools.
- Attempt to diagnose and resolve 1st level and 2nd incidents to existing problems or known errors.
- Dealing with incoming incidents in a professional, courteous manner over the phone and via email
- Update existing incidents with new information or status (as required)
- Assign incident to the appropriate resolver groups (internal or external).
- Taking ownership of incident and managing them in a logical and methodical manner
- Managing/monitoring incidents and service requests through their entire case lifecycle from the first point of contact through to resolution, proactively keeping the customer informed of progress
- Raising of incidents with external resolver groups (suppliers, vendors, carriers)
- Conducting full and through diagnostics with end users to enable first point of contact incident resolution. Attempt to diagnose and resolve 1st level incidents to existing problems or known errors
- Maintain and develop own knowledge and skills to assist with first time fault resolution
- Identify and escalate repeat issues or service risks into service management teams
- Manage scheduled tasks for clients, designed to ensure that the customers systems remain operational (backups, patches (security), performance and capacity management as appropriate
- Validate resolution with client and close cases
- Working rostered shifts and onsite work.
- Rotating roster may also involve potential for an out of business hours on call arrangement
- Proactive problem management (system performance)
- Co-ordinate and timely updates of clients assets (CMDB records)
- Accurate timesheet entry (actual time, daily, submitted weekly)
- Timely submission of expenses (as required)
- Timely closure of support cases
- Ensure the service desk knowledge base is proactively kept up to date
- Increase the availability of self-help capability such as through providing documentation for common issues throughout the service desk
- Gather trend information of common incidents and produce reports to assist support team to determine the root cause that will assist to improve service delivery and first time resolution
- Exercise responsibility for achieving service delivery targets for customer service, support performance and proactively recommending actions if targets are not met
- Monitor and manage service level agreements throughout the case lifecycle.
- Ensuring all incidents and service requests are progressed & cleared within SLA – escalating to other internal and external teams as appropriate
- Assist with enhancing service management procedure and processes in line with ITIL framework.
- Review aspects/areas for improvement with your own practice/processes
- Actively participate in continuous improvements with the service catalogue (managed services capabilities)
- Assist by providing any service management reports as directed by the AM/SDM/PMs or Service Desk leadership
Continuous Improvement: To contribute to the development, implementation and periodic review and maintenance of Service Delivery policies, processes, systems and tools, in accordance with ITIL best practice principles and standards.
- Participate in any Continuous Improvement Plan initiatives.
Project Delivery / Support: To provide quality service to CrossPoint clients in the delivery of projects under the guidance of the Project Management Office and/or Project Manager, and the respective Account and Service Delivery Managers.
- Implement moves, adds, changes and deletions (MACS) for contracted customers
- Perform complex MACS for contracted customers either directly or with assistance with the L3 Service Desk Escalations team assistance.
- Assist project delivery teams where possible (Regular Hours, Night Shift or Weekend)
Other Important Skills and Experience necessary
- Desirable Tertiary qualifications in Information Technology or equivalent.
- Essential – Completion of Secondary education to highest level (E.g. Year 12 – High School)
- Experience in the use of ITIL principles / ITIL Training/Certification in Service Delivery and IT frameworks, ITIL, ITSM, ISO9001, ISO27001 or relevant experience
Any applicable Vendor/Industry certifications highly desirable but not mandatory:
- Microsoft certifications (MCSA, MCSE).
- Cisco certifications or equivalent (CCNA, CCNP, CCIE).
- Storage certifications from the following vendors (EMC, Dell, HP, NetApp or IBM).
- VMware VCP5/6/VCAP
- Project Management training (Prince 2 / PMBOK)
- ITIL v3/4
- Minimum 1-2 years plus as a Service Desk Engineer
- Solid experience as a Service Desk Engineer in the mid-market or enterprise highly regarded
- Experience working with a Systems Integrator or Managed Services Provider or equivalent.
Skills Desired (can vary based on Service Desk Engineering role requirements (Systems/UC/Network)
- Solid knowledge and experience of Unified Communications (Cisco, Asterix/Open Source/MS Teams Voice/ SIP / SBC / Video Conferencing)
- Knowledge and experience across network design and implementation including switching, VLAN, and WAN solutions (experience across Cisco, HP, or Dell network equipment is essential). Strong knowledge and experience in SD-WAN highly desirable.
- Experience across mid-market and enterprise wireless network solutions (Datto, HP, Cisco)
Other Skills and Knowledge desired
- Microsoft Technologies (Windows Server/AD/DFS/DHCP/DNS/Scripting as well as applications such as MS Teams)
- server virtualisation
- storage solutions and storage area networks. (EMC highly regarded. Dell, HP, NetApp, IBM, Nimble well regarded).
- Cloud Solutions (Office365, Backup as a Service, Infrastructure as a Service, DR as a Service).
- Microsoft Exchange (On-Premise) and Exchange Online.
- Backup and DR solutions including Veeam, ShadowProtect, Symantec Backup Exec, etc).
- Security and Anti-Virus solutions (various firewalls, Symantec Endpoint, Symantec Cloud, McAfee, Trend, etc).
Skills / Attributes:
- A demonstrated focus on customer service
- Willingness to learn on the job and develop new skills (Continuous Learning)
- Solid technical skills in key areas required by CrossPoint.
- Specifically Systems, Cloud, Network, Unified Communications and Security
- Takes ownership for delivery of required outcomes
- Client focused and has a commitment to quality service and delivery
- Strong customer service delivery skills and a good understanding of client care
- Ability to liaise effectively with client representatives at all levels.
- Has a flexible, hands-on approach to work with the desire to achieve and ability to work in fast paced environment.
- Personable, Team Focused. Contributes to the greater good of the team.
- Ability to work independently, or as part of a team to ensure required outcomes are achieved.
- Strong interpersonal and relation building skills
- Polite, friendly and diplomatic manner
- Ability to prioritise and successfully manage multiple tasks to meet deadlines in a busy environment
- Analytical and systematic problem solving skills
- Attention to detail and the ability to multi task
- Excellent organisational and planning skills
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent documentation skills.
- Ability to absorb and apply technical knowledge and information
- Ability to cope well in a high pressured environment, while remaining calm and adopting a considered, structured approach to dealings with issues.
- Ability to consistently adhere to formal processes, but being adaptable to deliver outcomes where no processes exist or are incomplete
- Ability to apply ITIL principles to the delivery of CrossPoint IT managed services and solutions.
- Microsoft Office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project, Visio)
- Respect & Empower – We take time to understand our clients, colleagues, partners and stakeholders, their needs, and dreams and why they are here? We are humble and invest in each other to unleash people’s potential.
- Don’t Be Dodgy – We are honest and have integrity in everything we do. We do what we say and say what we do.
- Can Do Attitude – We take responsibility for outcomes with pride and thoroughness. We go above and beyond to get the job done. We put ourselves in the shoes of the client.
- Keep Learning– We develop, nurture, and grow ourselves our people, our clients, and our company. We think outside the square, try new solutions, but don’t wing it.
- One Team – We value unity and teamwork. We will support each other as one.
We are in partnership with our clients and work as one team.